If you wish to carry out major improvements or alterations to
your home we need to know about them first, before you order any
work or begin any jobs. This is a requirement under the terms
of your lease, and requires written permission from us. We also
need to know whether the improvements will affect the value of your
home should you wish to sell in the future or if you have an
If you intend to carry out home improvements, please complete
Improvement Request Form providing as much detail as
possible, and return it to us for consideration.
You do not need to let us know if you are carrying out
minor works such as decorating, replacing internal doors or having
fitted bedroom cupboards.
Major improvements include:
• Building an extension to the property
• Building a conservatory or a garage
• Installing replacement windows and external doors e.g. UPVC
• Carrying out internal structural alterations e.g. knocking two
rooms into one
• Installing a shower
• Installing a burglar alarm (flats and retirement properties
• Carrying out work to the gas, electricity or water supplies to
• Replacing a fitted kitchen or bathroom suite
We will not give permission for extensions, conservatories, sheds,
etc. to be built or erected where these will encroach on communal
areas i.e. on land that you do not own. For example if you live in
a retirement development of bungalows with communal gardens, then
you will not be given permission to extend your home.
Before work commences you should, where necessary, obtain and
provide us with the following:
• Planning permission from your local council (if permission is
• Confirmation that proposed alterations and improvements conform
to current Building Regulations where required.
We will not unreasonably withhold approval to your request
to carry out the improvements, however, the following conditions
1. A skilled trades person or other competent person must carry
out the work to a good standard. If the work is being carried out
by a trades person you should ensure that they have all relevant
insurances in case of accidents or mishaps.
2. An inspection may be carried out by a member of our staff
before work commences and after completion. You will be advised if
this is necessary.
3. In all cases you need to notify us when the work has been
4. If the work has not been carried out to an acceptable standard,
we reserve the right to reinstate the property back to its original
condition and recover the cost from you.
5. It will be your responsibility to rectify any damage caused to
fittings or the structure of your home as a result of the
6. In certain cases you may be liable for the removal of the
improvement along with making good when you sell the property. You
will be advised of this when approval is given.
7. If you are a shared owner, you may not recover the full cost of
the improvements when you come to sell your home. Your improvements
will be included in the Open Market Valuation and relevant sale
Riverside Home Improvement Agency
Do you have:
- a disability or impairment or
- live on a low income?
The service is aimed primarily at those who meet the above
criteria but we may be able to help you depending on your
circumstances. We can help with all kinds of improvements from
installing grab rails, building specially designed bathrooms to
getting your roof fixed.
We'll visit you in your home to find out what your needs are and
provide free impartial advice on the adaptations, improvements and
the energy efficiency of your home. If you decide you'd like to use
our services further, which can include obtaining quotes from
reputable contractors and supervising the project, there will be a
10% fee on the cost of all works taken. (Please note. If you
decide to not use our services once
we've started any work, there will be a cancellation fee
Our advice is free but we do charge for the extra services we
can provide. This fee is used to support our services and allow us
to keep providing free advice to those who need it. Don't worry
we'll talk everything through with you, including how it all works,
timescales and the costs involved before you commit yourself to any
Please call the Riverside Customer Service Centre on 0345 111 0000 to find out more.